Addiction affects every facet of life. Withdrawing from drugs or alcohol can be a painful, uncomfortable process. If you or someone you love is coping with the pain of withdrawal, it’s crucial to understand how to get comfortable during drug withdrawal to make the ordeal easier. There are many ways you can make withdrawal less extreme, including a massage therapy program in Hanover, PA. These programs are geared toward focusing on patient comfort. Read on to learn about how you can help make the detox process less painful and a much more positive experience.
How to Get Comfortable During Drug Withdrawal
Coping with drug withdrawal can present several problems for those struggling with addiction. From body aches and pains to more intense discomfort, it can seem impossible to regulate the harsh effects of drug withdrawal. To make the process more comfortable, several forms of therapy can be utilized, including:
- Massage therapy – massages release dopamine and serotonin. These are natural chemicals in the brain that produce feelings of calm and happiness.
- Acupuncture therapy – this ancient form of treatment helps to reduce anxiety, creates a sense of calmness, and promotes better, more restful sleep.
- Healthy diet – even something as simple as eating well during withdrawal can make the process much more comfortable for the patient.
- Rest – whether it’s frequent naps or just a quiet room, people coping with withdrawal should be allowed to rest as often as possible to help them “reset.”
- Medication – some medications that are made explicitly for drug withdrawal will help to make the process less painful and more bearable.
- Recreation therapy – regular exercise, especially through a yoga therapy program for addiction, can help you connect with your body and regulate your emotional state during withdrawal.
Techniques and Tips to Maximize Comfort
It can be quite challenging to know how to be comfortable during drug detox. Withdrawal presents a range of symptoms from insomnia and sweating to body pain and even hallucinations in some patients. Fortunately, there are some ways you can maximize your comfort level as you go through the withdrawal process, such as:
- Deep breathing – take slow, deep breaths to calm down your heart rate and restore your body’s natural balance. Doing this as often as possible.
- Preparation – understand the symptoms and side effects of drug withdrawal. This will help you gather things you need in advance to help you cope.
- Stay hydrated – withdrawal can cause symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting. Keep plenty of water on hand to help prevent dehydration.
- Keep yourself distracted – you can begin finding other interests to take up your time, including books and movies. These can keep your mind off the pain and keep your thoughts focused on something positive.
- Take baths or showers – when you’re in pain or feeling stressed, try a warm relaxing bath or shower. They can help calm your nerves and help you feel at ease.
Finding Solutions for Drug Withdrawal
Going through drug withdrawal is never easy. However, detox lets your body cleanse itself of drugs so you can focus on recovery. If you need professional help, find a reliable medical drug and alcohol detox center that can help you get through drug withdrawal in a safe place and in a more comfortable way. From massage therapy to biofeedback and acupuncture, several methods are available to make the pain more bearable. The Ranch PA is located on 15 acres in the beautiful hills of Pennsylvania. We offer a broad spectrum of therapy options for those struggling with addiction. Get the help you need by visiting our website or calling us today 717.969.9126, and one of our representatives will be happy to help. Find Your Path to Recovery. The first step is yours. We’ll help with the rest.