Everyone has times of sadness. It’s a natural emotion. For some people, it’s more than just a few bad moments. When anxiety or feeling of sadness persist over several weeks if not months, it’s likely you or a loved one is suffering from depression.
How widespread is depression? According to the World Health Organization, more than 264 million people of all ages suffer from depression. In the United States, it is estimated that 16.2 million adults (6.7% of the adult population) suffer from at least one major depressive episode in any given year. Women are more likely than men to experience depression. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, about 12% of women in the United States suffer from depression compared to about 5% of men.
Do you think you could be depressed? If so, take a closer look at the signs of depression. Find out if you should seek help. If that’s the case, our depression treatment at Recovery Ranch PA is available to you. Our compassionate and experienced counselors and therapists can help you identify and address the causes and triggers of your mental health issues. We believe in getting you healthy.
What’s the Difference Between Depression and Just Sadness?
Depression isn’t just feeling sad all of the time. It occurs when you cannot find anything that you enjoy in life. Everything seems overwhelming to you. You’re faced with struggles, a lack of desire to get back in the game, and despair that infiltrates every part of your life. Depression impacts everything you do, from your ability to sleep at night to eating healthy foods to getting through the day at work or home.
If you see some of these signs of depression in yourself, it’s time to reach out for help. Because depression can be chronic, finding professional mental health help is key in healing. If left untreated, depression can cause serious issues in an individual’s life and wellbeing.
What Are the Signs of Depression?
Recognize that the signs of depression will differ from one person to the next. What you feel is likely to be a bit different than what someone else does. Take a look at some of the most common signs of this disease.
- Feeling helpless and hopeless
- Weight changes that are unintended
- Loss of interest in the things you used to enjoy doing
- Changes in sleep patterns
- A loss or lack of energy
- Reckless behavior, such as reckless driving, dangerous sports, or unprotected sex
- Anger and mood swings
- Pain and discomfort
- Self-loathing and feelings of worthlessness
- Difficulty concentrating and making decisions
- Frequent thoughts of suicide, or death in general
Are you feeling any of these signs? If so, you’re not alone in feeling overwhelmed by the experience. When a person enters a state of depression, everything around them seems pointless, hard to manage, and simply not worth your effort. What should you do then?
Seeking Help for Signs of Depression
When you’re experiencing the signs of depression, it’s important to act on it. Because these negative thought patterns can spiral out of control, it’s critical to recognize what’s happening and then reach out for immediate help.
With the help of our depression treatment center, you’ll be able to turn the page and move toward healing and wellbeing again. We use a range of treatment options to help you, including:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy: This approach helps you understand and change negative thought patterns that are at the root of your depression.
- Dialectical behavioral therapy: This type of therapy is very effective in treating depression, as it helps you develop skills to manage difficult emotions and cope with stress.
- Individual counseling sessions: In these sessions, you’ll work one-on-one with a therapist to address the specific issues that are contributing to your depression.
- Dual diagnosis treatment if you’re also facing addiction: If you’re struggling with both depression and addiction, we offer dual diagnosis treatment to address both issues simultaneously.
- Holistic treatment options: We offer a range of holistic therapies to help you heal on all levels, including yoga and meditation.
We offer these treatment methods through a series of programs. Finding the right one for you is critical. You may benefit from our inpatient treatment program designed to give you a safe place to recover. Others do well in an outpatient treatment program. The key here is to reach out for help. Don’t try to weather this storm on your own, but get the care you need.
Don’t Wait to Seek Out Help from Recovery Ranch PA
If you recognize the signs of depression in yourself or your loved one, don’t put off getting help. Turn to our team at Recovery Ranch PA to get comprehensive support. Let us help you improve your quality of life and overcome this challenge. Speak to our trusted counselors when you call 717.969.9126.