With the numerous changes in laws regarding marijuana, it can be hard to know what you are using and whether it is safe to do so. What is THC? Is it safe to use CBD? It can be confusing. If you believe you have an addiction to marijuana or other types of drugs, it is worth calling The Ranch PA to learn about the potential treatment options for you. Our team is dedicated to helping you.
So What is THC?
Consumers are finding more products than ever related to cannabis. There are two components that make up most of these products. Cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) are the two natural components that come from the cannabis plant that is often used in these products.
- CBD: Marijuana and hemp produce CBD. It is commonly sold in gels, extracts, oils, and other forms. CBD does not contain THC. That means it does not have the ability to make you high.
- THC: THC is found in both hemp and marijuana (though a very small amount in hemp). This natural compound is what creates the psychoactive elements of marijuana. In other words, using this allows you to feel a sense of euphoria and being high. You will find THC products, including edibles, tinctures, and oils. If you use products with THC, it may be possible to develop an addiction to it.
What’s the Difference in the Way These Drugs Work?
These two natural components can be confusing to understand, but it’s important to know that when you use products that contain THC, whether legal or not, you can develop an addiction. Both of these components will interact with your cannabinoid receptors in your brain. Neurotransmitters, which are released into the brain to improve communication between components, are impacted differently by THC. That means things like pain, immune function, and even your stress levels can be impacted by these products. What is THC when it causes you to get high? Because THC binds to CB1 (a specific receptor in the brain), it can produce that sense of being high that many people seek. While CBD can potentially bind to these same receptors, it is not likely to do so. That means it does not have the ability to create that sense of euphoria.
What Is THC in Terms of Addiction?
While there are many states that are working to make marijuana legal, and some have made the use of CBD and THC legal for medicinal use, it is important that the drug can still be addictive. Up to 30 percent of people who use this drug can develop a marijuana use disorder, according to the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse. When you consider that, it makes sense why you may need help. If your body becomes addicted to marijuana, and dependence forms, that may make it harder for you to stop using. What can we do to help you?
- Enroll in our marijuana addiction treatment program.
- Determine if medical detox treatment is necessary.
- Work within individual and group therapy treatment.
- Develop skills to avoid using, such as cognitive behavior therapy.
- Get help through aftercare program treatment if needed.
When it comes to getting help for addiction, don’t wait. You may be asking, “What is THC going to do to me?” If you are, you may already be facing an addiction.
Finding Help for Your Addiction at The Ranch PA
What is THC doing to your life? If you are facing a constant state of addiction or the desire to use, it may be time to finally turn the page and get the support you need. If you or your loved one has an addiction, contact our counselors at The Ranch PA by calling 717.969.9126. We are here to help you find the best treatment options available.